Kalgoorlie, WA (AU 6)

Day 47 Sun 05/28/2012
Who Stole the Keys?

“Slept until 2:30PM.  Woke up to do laundry and found the keys to the storage room at work in my pocket.  Whoops!  Ran all the way to work.  Claire & I went to a couple of Op Shops.  I did find a $20 beanie at the one Fox or Hurley “style” store.  Might go back and buy it to replace the one I gave Claire.  Washed clothes, ate some chicken.  Got on Craig’s pc and made credit card payment.  Debt FREE!  Hewl Ya!  Played a game of Wizards with Frank, Craig & Scott.  Claire attempted.  Frank is a dickhead!  LOL!  He is watching over my shoulder as I write this.  Tomorrow we will go camping.”

            I felt bad for having the keys.  If they can’t get into storage there will be hell to pay.  I am already on my last life there.  I sprinted the whole way to work.  They were glad to see I cared enough to bring the keys back, but they had found a spare.
            I wish I could remember the game of Wizards that the guys taught us.  However, I cannot.  Tomorrow we go camping.


Day 48 Tue 05/29/2012
Camping

“Camping in Centennial Park.  We are not sure what the rules are on this, but Roland & Frank both have full camping gear.  Cold as!  Missing my good sleeping bag about NOW.”

            Claire had never been camping so of course we had to take her.  The guys had tents and camping gear, but we had no idea where there were any official camp grounds.  Claire and I had walked through the Centennial Park the other day and we figured surely there was a spot in there we could go.
            The trip was super sketchy.  I am pretty sure if any of us were caught we would be in trouble, so we hid our tents in a low spot and behind trees and bush.  It was hot during the day out here in Kal, but in the middle of the night it gets alot colder than we though.  This was not camping in the Outback, but it was good enough for now.








Day 49 Wed 05/30/2012
Working Nights One by One

“Got a call today from a man named Jan about a job working as a water quality technician.  Wen to the store with Claire.  Cooked some gross sausages.  The sausages here in Australia are not the same as our sausage back home.  Grabbed email from Craig.  Back on damn night shift tonight.  Every night I go in is my last.  Hate it.  Called Dad this night too.”

            Some head hunter is trying to get me into work back in Perth as a water quality technician.  Sounds like I would be a perfect fit for this and the job would pay great.  I could do this job for 3-6 months then split and have money to travel the rest of the year and then some.  Later when they see my work Visa I am immediately looked past.
            Claire and I went to the store and bought sausages.  I complain about the sausages here because when I think of sausage I think of breakfast sausage.  Like sausage patties.  Here they are just really nice hot dogs.
Stunt planes putting on an air show with Kalgoorlie sunset
            I had a good talk with Dad tonight.  He helped me power through the whole working situation.  I couldn’t quit until I had something else lined up, but I couldn’t find work while being stuck in Kalgoorlie working nights.  Tough situation.  Lots of the guys at the hostel had come in and gotten their tickets for the mines.  They were doing well for themselves.  I am still not sure why I refused to do this.  I hated to put a few thousand into tickets that were worthless to me in 10 months when I left.  Besides, I hated to be stuck in Kal working the mines even for another 3 months.  What to do?





Day 50 Thur 05/31/2012
Turd of a Smoke Machine

“Country Joe bought an Mp3 player from Dick Smith’s, an electronic store chain in AU, and want all of my country music before I split town.  I am on night shift again tonight  .I talked with Joe (Joanne from Ireland) about quitting.  She is not going to add me to the new roster next week.  Heck yea!  Monday night will be my last night to work at Monty’s.
Had more incidents at work.  The smoke machine only takes $1 and $2 coins.  Cigs are $22.00 per pack.  So any time some drunk wants smokes at 5AM we are the only place open where you can get them.  I make money off of this…”

            I make money because so many people drop these $1 and $2 coins all through the night and they fall under and around the smoke machine.  When I clean the floors out there I will look for money.  I moved the machine for the first time and I swear I found $40.  These mining blokes make stupid amounts of money.  They don’t care about dropping coins.  Aboriginals live off of the Dole, Welfare in AU, and get paid even MORE money than they can spend.  I have heard of Aboriginals buying a new yute (truck) driving it until the tires fell apart or it died due to needing an oil change, and leaving it where it sits.  They pay cash up front for the truck.
            So the drama tonight was I had a guy come in and fail at the smoke machine.  It takes $22 of coins to buy one pack and it only takes $1 and $2 coins.  Pretty simple, right?  Wrong!  The machine is a pain in the ass big time.  If it rejects your coin you can NOT try it again.  If it doesn’t like the coin in most cases trying it repeatedly does not work.  So just because you have $22 of coins doesn’t mean you can have cigs.  People get pissed.
            If I am not busy cooking I will gladly help people get cigs.  This one miner was drunk and trying to get smokes so I went over and told him to give me $22 and I will get the ones he wants.  He was appreciative, even though he couldn’t really say many words due to intox.  The coins the bastard of a machine spit out I replaced with my own coins.  He got his smokes.
            Within the hour I see another guy over at the smoke machine trying to get smokes.  “Ya smook machine is broke mate,” this Aboriginal man said.  He was also wasted and wearing his sunnies (sunglasses) and it is dark outside.  I have no more coins, so I open the register and grab a hand full of $2 tokens.  I figure IF he has $22 in coins I can just take his money, see what works in the machine, and take the change to put back into the cash register.  It made perfect sense to me.
            “Give me your money and tell me what smokes you want.  I’ll get them for you,” I tell the guy.  He hands me $22.  I start throwing money into the machine one after another.  It takes maybe every other coin.  By the time I have $22 on the display screen there is probably $40 in the spent change drawer.  I select his cigs and they fall out.  “Here ya go,” as I hand him the cigarettes.
            “Whattabout my change mate!  That’s my change!” 
I tell him he gave me $22 and this was my change. Actually it’s the restaurant’s change.  He thinks I am pulling one on him.  He argues again and I say something like “Fuk it, take the change.”  I am beyond defeat.  He takes it all.  He was drunk, and stupid, but he knew what he was doing.  I was done trying to help people.  He was going to fight me over the change.  I went back out of sight and lost it.  I was done.  I was super upset that I could get beat up for trying to help someone buy cigarettes.


Day 51 Fri 06/01/2012
Karaoke Night

“There was a scheduling mess up & I am off tonight for the first weekend night so far.  Slept all AM.  Woke up and went to go get beers.  Drank at the hostel with Tom, Aussie skateboarder staying at hostel, and friends.  Craig, Tom, Emma & I all went to the Criterion (Gold Bar) around 11:30PM for karaoke.  Travis Tritt – T-R-O-U-B-L-E & Elvis – Blue Suede Shoes brought the house down.  ‘McNair from TN’ was given free drink vouchers after each song I sang.  Tom sang Guns N Roses – Paradise City.  It was awesome.  Everyone in there could see we were having a blast.
Oh today I finally received the package from Perth (from KJ) with my new iPhone (her old dinosaur iPhone).  Awesome wrap job on it, Leah.  Steel Panther wrapping paper?  Hahaha wicked.”

Tom from Taz wearing his Nashville TN Hot Rod Shirt
            Rowdiness at the hostel on the weekends.  We got the bicycle out and pulled Tom up and down the street on his skateboard.  Then Geoff wants to pull him behind his yute.  We took some great pictures and videos.  I was very glad to get Kristen’s old iPhone.  I have no idea how to use it though.  I also loved the wrapping paper Leah used to get the phone from Perth to here.  Steel Panther!  I took the wrapping and salvaged it for some room décor.  I posted the Steel Panther article on the outside of our room.

 





Day 52 Sat 06/02/2012
Wat-ah

“I think today is the day we watched a bunch of movies.  Your Highness with Danny McBride & Natalie Portman was one of the funniest movies I’d seen in a while.  Busy night at work.  Frank & Roland were both off all day so they partied.  Frank and Claire came into Monty’s that night.  The rush came at 5AM Sunday morning when the skimpy bar closed.  It sucked.  We thought we were in the clear.  Karen, one of the other hot girls we worked with, was pretty toasted and kept saying she wanted “Wat-ah”.



Day 53 Sun 06/03/2012
Caught on Camera

“This is my last night working with Roel.  We had a couple of beers before heading to work.  Dom, the new night manager/security, kept a close eye on us.  The last time the two of us worked together Roel hadn’t done any/most of his prep work or cleaning.  So Jay, the owner, went back and watched the security tapes to see what the hell we were doing.  Well I did all of my work and stayed busy.  We did drink free beers most of the time too though.  I got some Guiness for after work for brekkie beers.”

            So Dom was watching us like a hawk.  Prep jobs and cleaning had been left unfinished and not started the last time Roel and I were working night shift.  I was in the restaurant working the morning when everyone came in and complained about the toilets front not being cleaned at all.  There were other odd jobs the front staff are responsible for that were not done as well, like silverware I think.  I remember Jay asking “who was on last night?”  She was pissed.  I knew it was Roel and myself.  We were busted.  There is no telling how many times one of us had opened the fridge, grabbed a beer, and poured the beer into a coffee take away cup.  This is how we would drink a beer at work.
            Well I thought about the night before and I remember being busy doing prep work the entire time I had down time.  I was sipping on beers, but I was staying busy.  Roel might have been sitting down, legs crossed, chatting it up and playing tunes.  I think this must have been the scene Jay slowed down for when she saw all the prep work done and none of the front work finished.  LOL.  I warned Roel when I got back to the hostel that Jay was going to be on him when he got in.  “No worries,” Roel said as he smiled.  He figured it was worth every second.  He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment