Kalgoorlie, WA (AU 4)

Day 33 Mon 05/14/2012
Day Off

“I thought I was off on Tuesday so Julian, a random German chick & I walked to Hungry Jacks for some WIFI.  Chemist for detergent.  Wooley’s & bottle shop.  Did laundry.  Ping Pong & beers.”


Day 34 Tue 05/15/2012
ClaireBear

“Work at 11AM with Lisa(Irish) & Claire.  Claire is from the UK.  Hung out at hostel all night.  Had to walk back to Monty’s and get my purse that I left there like a dummy.  Nacho Libre!”

            I was working the lunch shift today with Lisa and Claire.  Lisa is another one of the managers.  She is easy going as well and if there are problems with customers she will literally tell them to “Get the fook out” (Irish accent).  You don’t fook with her at all.  I saw her almost get in a fight with a mining bloke one night and I was worried for him, and she isn’t big and all muscles either.  She is just tough a little.
            Claire on the other hand offsets Lisa.  She is from Lincoln, England and wouldn’t smash a fly.  She speaks Queen Elizabeth’s English and gets mad only at me for not speaking “proper” English.  She gave me enough hell about how I talked that during this shift I asked her if she wanted to teach me to speak “proper” English over dinner or drinks.  She played it off like it was strictly going to be a lesson, but I could tell she liked it when I said “yall”.  She scribbled her number down on a food receipt and gave it to me before her shift ended.
            I spent the rest of the evening arguing with Frank and Roel about which girls number I had gotten.  Neither one of them were there to witness.  Sorry Claire but for the longest time I had all the girls names messed up.  You were Neef (I still can’t spell her name), Suzie was Neef, and you were Suzie I think.  All messed up.  I blame the Dutch boys because they could only help if you were all in the same room.  Frank finally drew us a picture and cleared everything up.


Day 35 Wed 05/16/2012
Date Night

“It was cold in our room this AM.  I didn’t want to get out of bed. Work at 11AM.  I had to run to work because I was so slow getting ready.  Frank, Jay (the owner), and I were in the kitchen.  Busy.  Origami at the hostel with Angel’s older sister.  Claire took a cab to the hostel and we walked over to Judd’s for dinner.  Then walked to the Irish Pub by the Exchange.  Took our desert from the Red Rooster to the little park by K-Mart.”

            Working with Jay is no fun.  She is the owner and a super pain in the butt.  Angel is Sarah’s little girl.  I forget her older sisters name, but their grandma, Lizzy, was watching them today.  I took the older one for a while since some of us were just sitting in the common room watching TV it was convenient for Lizzy to leave the older one with us to color. 
            Claire and I had our date tonight.  It was loads of fun.  Judd’s was a similar restaurant to Monty’s other than the fact that they close early.  We had a good dinner and ice cream from the Red Rooster for desert after a few pints at the Irish Pub.  It was nice to see Claire wearing clothes other than her all black ninja jumpsuit she wore to Monty’s.  She looked good tonight.


Day 36(37) Thur 05/17/2012
Country Joe

“Got woken up early by Candy, a German girl staying in the room just across the hall from us.  She was up early making some side money by changing all the sheets in the hostel.  I wanted to sleep as late as possible because I go back on night shift tonight.  I got on Steve’s laptop for a bit.  There is a grocery trip in here somewhere too.  Also my notes go crazy again since I goon night shift.  I am working with Roland & Joe tonight.  Joe loves country music.  He asked me tonight if I had any on my Mp3 player.  Please!  He requested Garth Brooks & Travis Tritt.  Hell yea.”

            Candy storming into our room early was not cool, but she is very sweet and very cute so we allowed it.  I had to get out of my bed to make put my sheets on before she would leave.  She was making all the beds but the sooner I got mine done the sooner I could get back to sleep for a bit.  I needed more rest to go on night shift again tonight.
            Candy is staying right across the hall from us and is hooked up with another German guy, name Luke.  They are a cute couple.  We assume they came from Germany together because they are always together.  One morning while cleaning Candy had turned on some Latin music to max blowing speakers volume while cleaning their room.  The door was somehow accidentally locked and none of the other backpackers could get back into their room.  When wondered if Luke was still in there or had he gone to work today.
            Work was a hell of a good time tonight.  The restaurant doesn’t have a sound system integrated throughout the place, but it does have a stereo setup back near the dishwasher and coffee station where we had rigged up a cable to accept iPods or in my case a brick of an old Mp3 player.  Everyone had their own style of music obviously.  If it was day time the girls up from played nice easy going music.  Typical Top 100 stuff.  Once night shift came on it was game on for some heavy stuff.  Tonight would be the start of Frank, Roel & I taking over on the tunes.  I had setup a not so hard core play list to ease everyone in to the music I had in store for anyone within earshot of Monty’s.  When the random country song came on Joe perked up.  He loves country.
            I think Roel was ready to die but Joe was singing every song that came on, including Travis Tritt, Garth Brooks, Hank, and so on.  I remember at some point we had a small rush of mining blokes storm into the place, and it was either a “Hell yea I haven’t heard this stuff in ages mate” or “What the hell is this $hit you are playing here?”  More guys were covering their ears than enjoying the country, but Joe is the manager and loves it. 


Day 38 Sat 05/19/2012
Morning Beers

“After working until 7:30AM Roland & I had a wild hair.  We were not sleepy so we went back to the hostel and grabbed a few of Frank’s beers.  Then at 10AM we took the soccer ball (FUTBOL) over to Wooly’s & bought a 30 pack of Emu & some box wine.  Get Wrekt!  We put on clothes from the bin of unclaimed clothes.  Jammed out for hours.  Night shift was fine.  Huge 4Am rush when Gold Bar closed.  Jersey brought home a gal.  Whoop!”

            We lost a day in here somewhere in transition to night shift again I guess.  As Roel and I came off of night shift Saturday morning we felt great.  Too great.  I assume there are no notes from yesterday because we got off night shift and slept all day until it was time to work again.  This was no way to spend our time together we figured.  We didn’t feel like sleeping all day so we decided to have a few beers.  We had worked hard all night and owed it to ourselves.  Nothing is open at 7:30Am though.  “Frank has some beers,” Roel says.
Scott (England) & I with slabs of EMU
            Frank had to work day shift today so he would most definitely be sleeping still.  We would have to ask for forgiveness as we were going to just steal his beers.  He had only a few in their shared food bag in the fridge.  Luca woke up and joined us on this raid.  We sat outside where we thought we would disturb everyone the least.  Sitting by the side door was right by our room.  We knew how noise just filtered straight in there.  We sat out by the back door where the kitchen and common areas were.
            I no time we had drank the couple of beers Frank had on ice for us.  “he hides his beer under his bed,” Roel is just full of recon info.  “I’ll get them,” I say.  I figure Frank loves me and won’t mi
Roel sporting his new complete
outfit while Luca approves


nd.  We will replenish them later when the stores open.  Roel and I went into our room.  Frank was asleep.  If he would have bought cans this could have been pulled off much stealthier.  Instead he has all bottles.  It sounds like a homeless person’s cart being rolled off the curb as I slowly eased his box of beer out from under the bed he was sleeping deeply in.  He rolled over quickly wondering who was robbing him.  Sorry to wake you up buddy.  Thanks mate!

            As we sat on the porch I started going through the unclaimed clothes bin.  Most of this stuff was left in washers or dryers and not claimed.  There were some real jewels in here.  We decided everyone had to create an outfit from the bin.  I found camo shorts and some nasty shirt.  Roel actually found some jean shorts that became his favorite.  This was way more fun than sleeping all day.
            We must have gotten some decent sleep though because work was a breeze for us.  Jersey, our other roommate Steve from NJ, came into Monty’s late off his face having a good time.  He had a babe with him too.  I tossed some chicken wings and a few other random munchies into the deep fryer for them to take with them.


Day 39 Sun 05/20/2012
Welcome to the Madhouse

“Slept until 3PM.  Sat outside in the sun for a bit and ate cereal.  Lazy day.  Roland and I just chilled for most of the evening until work.  Work was very slow thanks goodness.  We played Roland’s OONCE music most of the night.  Hilarious!”

Geoff's Sanger Shirt
            Jersey had his same lady friend with him this morning when we all woke up.  Yea boi!  We did nothing today.  Now that we have started taking over the stereo at work Roel had a go with it.  That same OONCE song I heard the first night I stayed at the hostel was Roel’s doing.  “Welcome to the Madhouse.”  This is some Dutch hardcore muziek.  We force feed this to the few customers we have tonight.  Hahaha, it is so perfect.  This will be one of the many songs that will play in the video tribute to Australia.
            Another one of our friends, Geoff, needs to be mentioned as well.  He works as the night manager of the hostel and has a day job for a mechanic here in town.  He is a character.  Every day he wears the same black t-shirt under his work shirt.  The shirt is just a sandwich.  I always talk to him about his favorite sandwich shirt.  He says he would love to eat a sandwich like this.  It is his favorite.  I tell him if he comes to Monty’s I promise I will make him this exact sandwich anytime.  It is done, and we are both excited to make this happen.  Also let it be noted that Geoff has his hands full being the night manager of this hostel.  Our little group is pretty tame compared to some of the other stuff that goes on.  Irish = Rowdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment