Kalgoorlie, WA (AU 3)




Day 26 Mon 05/07/2012
Milkshakes

Jacob (GER) & I leaving the museum in Kal
“Off of work today.  Julian, Jacob & I went to the museum today.  Went up into the red tower.  Then to the Op Shop & Woolworth’s.  I made the most epic milkshake today.  Amazing.  Watched Star Wars Family Guy.”

            We had a good time at the museum today.  Jacob and Julian are some pretty hilarious Germans.  We had a good time reading about the history of Kalgoorlie and seeing the old artifacts.  We took the elevator up into the large tower as well.  We saw the first gold bar produced there in Kal.
            When I say I made an awesome milkshake tonight I think it is due to the fact that I have taken an old 2 litre milk jug and cut the top out of it in order to mix my shakes.  So I am making HUGE shakes and sharing with anyone in sight.  Jacob is hooked.  They have never seen milkshakes made without a blender.  Minds are blown.  We watched the Family Guy Star Wars short movie, Blue Harvest.

Day 27 Tue 05/08/2012
Free Internet

“Swept & mopped for internet $.  Then WIFI at Hungry Jacks.  Walked around the area between Kingsbury Park.  Photos of pink birds.  Slow at work with Frank.  Watched Gladiator at hostel.”

Hungry Jack’s is exactly the same as Burger King.  Free WIFI is hard to find over here.  Walking to places is getting to be second nature.  I spend all morning and afternoon walking for free internet after my freebie ran out at the hostel for doing some side jobs.  I have money, but I refuse to use it for internet.  I have debt free right now and I hate to have to start using credit over here.  I am cooking myself food at Monty’s and eating cheap all the other time.
The pink birds I took photos of are Galah’s or Pink Cockatoos.

Day 28 Wed 05/09/2012
Shara Gets Her Heart

“Called Graham about a fitting job & sent CV (resume) to him.  Walked a ton.  Found the miner monument.  Got paid at work.  Went home to watch some of I Am Legend and went to bed.  Sharareh got her HEART!!!”

Han Solo & the Miner's Monument in
Boulder Kalgoorlie
            Since all there is to do in this town is work and drink I decided today I needed to make a mission for myself.  I had a brochure from the information center that had a picture of the Kalgoorlie Mining Monument.  For whatever reason I decided I had to go find the memorial and take a picture of the miners with Han Solo.  I set off alone.
            The monument was located in Boulder area of Kal, so I had a pretty decent walk ahead of me.  It was a disappointment, but it did pass the time.  I found the YMCA of Kalgoorlie.  I got paid today also.  This was nice.  $20 went towards a sixer of beer and I watched I Am Legend back at the hostel before bed.
            The best part about today is I had a call from Leah telling me that they had found Sharareh a heart.  This was amazing news.  The chances were getting very slim, and she had been pretty far back on the list.  However, a perfect match had been acquired and it was immediately sent to Perth.  I need to link the article about her famous heart.  It was one of the first hearts to be transported in the new “heart in a box thechnology” in the southern hemisphere.
            Leah was very excited to tell me the news.  The surgery is tomorrow morning.  We are hoping like crazy that her body will accept the new donor heart and there will be no complications.  Hang in there Shara.


Day 29 Thur 05/10/2012
Heart In A Box

“Early 4Am wake.  5AM moving furniture with David, Scott, Jacob, & Shahin.  Til 2PM.  WestPac to deposit money.  Thinking of Sharareh and her surgery. I begin the night shift tonight at Monty’s.10:30PM to 6:30AM!  Yikes!”
           
            The previous night the guys had been asked by Lizzy, the owner of Kalgoorlie Backpackers, if they wanted to do some heavy lifting for a lady in town who owned a furniture store.  The four of them agreed to help.  As I sat with the guys the night before watching TV they told me about the deal and assured me it would be fine for one more to help.  I was game.  So we had to be over at the furniture store at 5AM to get the store ready for new shipments coming in.  It was fun working side by side with the boys.  There was lots of arguing and messing around while moving furniture from here to there and back again.  The owner, an older gal, would have us move things 5 times.  At one point I really felt like she was messing with us.  We would arrange an entire room the way she wanted it by bringing in pieces from the other end of the warehouse to make room for newer items just to have her tell us she changed her mind and wants it back the way we had it.  No joke.  This happened.  We all would look at each other and just want to die.  As she left the room our venting would ensue.
            All we could do was expect to move things at least twice.  We soon stopped asking where she wanted stuff and put it where we figured it would work.  Out of sight out of mind.  Just get it done.  We each took a turn getting a little too fired up about the typical furniture moving situation we were in.  Well in truth this was a little different from “a little higher… a little lower… no no no higher.”  This was “all this in that room, and all that back outside.  Ok now bring that all back in and set it up right in the same place but backwards.”  I have four other witnesses that will vouch for this when they read this I swear. 
            None of us were scared to sweat though, and by the time the truck load of stuff got there we had everything as ready as we could for the new furniture.  We broke off into teams and starting moving new stuff around and unloading this and that.  We had to build a bunch of tables as well.  We were making money and getting a workout too.  I was very glad to be here with them, because I needed the money and most of the time when the five of us were together we were spending money on wine and beers not making it.  Thanks for the invite guys.
            I think I was allowed to leave a little early because I needed to sleep before going in to work to begin my night shifts at Monty’s.  Leah had text me with good news.  Shara’s surgery had gone as predicted and she was in recovery.  This was great news!  Here is the article about Shara and her Heart In A box.


            As I go onto night shift my journal entries can get very confusing.  It looks like tonight, my first night shift, I am working with Zara, New Zealand, and Susie, Irish.



Day 30 Fri 05/11/2012
First All Nighter… WORKING

“Working with Zara & Suzie.  Zara helped me out in the kitchen while Suzie ran the front.  Other than back to back meat lovers pizzas & one male stalker nothing major happened.  Got off at 6:30AM & slept until 3PM.  My favorite pair of camp boxers are falling apart in the ass!  They are not old enough for this to be happening.”

            Suzie had some drunk bloke sitting at the bar all night really giving her the sketchy eye.  He was harmless though so we allowed him to stay.  Zara is a lot of help in the kitchen and very patient.  This was a smooth shift.  I will soon see the difference between a Thursday night and a Friday night.
            The meat lovers pizzas are a pain to make.  Well they are just very time consuming.  If you have all the meats prepared they are not too bad.  If any of the ingredients are not prepped it can be a nightmare.  Chicken, sausage, ham, steak, and whatever else I am forgetting.  I got everything ready for the one pizza and right when it came out to be served someone ordered another one.  What a pain in the a$$.  I am pretty sure Zara helped make that second one.


Day 31 Sat 05/12/2012
Surf n Turf

“Worked all night with Roland & Joe(this is the Aussie dude Joe not Irish lady Joe).  Had one table (Hughe & Kevin) buy us beers while we worked because he loved the surf & turf so much.  When Roland & I got off of work this morning we went back to the hostel and had some drinks.  Turned into a mess.  Drank & played tunes all day.  Then went to work that night & had the table buy us beers.”

            Well this is confusing.  Forget the dates.  I worked with Roel that night with Joe, our night manager.  Joe is pretty cool.  He is an Aussie bloke maybe in his 40’s.  He is pretty lazy but he will help if it is needed.  If you can handle it he does nothing.  But he is pretty funny and doesn’t crack the whip ever.  When we had the table offer to buy Roel and I beers we had to ask Joe if he could take over what I was cooking for a few while we sat down with Hughe and Kevin.  Joe was glad to cook for me while I took a few minutes to drink a beer.  The restaurant was pretty dead at this time anyways.  I remember this beer being very painful to drink because Roel and I had tied one on the day before (or I guess earlier this day) after I was off of work.  We managed though.  The guy was speaking so highly of the meal and beers were something like $7.00 a bottle.  Roel will remember better.  I know Red Cruizers were $9.00 because I did buy one of those.  This is another story for a later date.

Day 32 Sun 05/13/2012
Mother’s Day

“Slept all day (til 4PM).  Made lunch & worked on my pics on Frank & Steve’s PCs.  Thanks guys.  Night shift again tonight but hopefully the rain will make it a quiet night.  Calling Mom for Mother’s Day.  Very slow night at work.”

            Steve, from New Jersey, and Frank let me use their computers today for some work.  Sunday night will be slower than the past two nights.  I didn’t get into detail on the last two shifts at work but I can assure you they were such madness when the rush came in after the other clubs closed that my brain was fried and I couldn’t write down any events because I was probably screwing up so many orders it wasn’t worth writing down.  Tonight was slower and I even was able to give Mom and call and wish her a Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment