Back to Perth

Day 310 Fri 02/15/2013
Jaws Sushi

                   “Leah & I went for dinner with Robyn & two friends at Jaws.”

Skype with my brother!
            I think Jaws is Leah & my favorite dinner place.  We tear it up in there very often.  If I remember correctly we went for a drink across the street at a seemingly upscale joint.  This place was way too nice for my wallet.  Thanks for the drink though, Leah.  J
            Tonight I Skyped with Daniel & Katie for I think the first time in Oz.  It was so sad seeing my brother for the first time in ten months.  I hadn’t missed him too much due to staying busy & not actually seeing him.  I missed him big time after our Skype.  I would see him in 2 months though!  So this was a happy talk.
            Leah has also bought me more milk straws again that are flavored.  They are so tasty.  Ads in Cairns had loved these so much when I was staying with him and Sharlene.  I had a text from him saying “Hey mate!  You gotta try these milk straws in a 4X Gold!”  Hahaha, he was drinking a beer with one of the milk straws I had left there.


Day 311 Sat 02/16/2013
Scarborough Waves

Milk Straws
“Leah & I went down to Scarborough Beach to meet Ori, Moh & Mageet fir fish n chips.  Then waves killed us down on the beach.  HUGE waves.  We got destroyed.  Good fun.”

            I had never met Leah’s Iranian friends.  Oranoos is Moh’s wife, and Mageet is Moh’s younger brother.  They are from Iran, and have moved to Australia looking for permanent residency.  They are hilarious.  I really enjoyed lunch with this group.  The waves down on the beach were large enough to hurt you.  Ori is timid in the water.  She does not want to meet any sharks.  Leah has bought a squishy ball that is very fun to throw.  The guys and I had much fun trying to peg the ladies with the ball of course. 

Day 312 Sun 02/17/2013
Atlantis Marine Park

“Leah & I woke up this morning & decided to go looking for the old abandoned water park up in Two Rocks, called Atlantis.  After a one hour drive we spotted Neptune, the God of the Sea.  We took many fun photos.  After Atlantis we hit up Yanchep National Park.  We found koalas!  I hadn’t seen any koalas in Australia yet.
Tonight we went to Subiaco Park to see a Beach Boys cover band.  They were awesome & it was a free concert.”

            The trip to the water park was so much fun.  Leah had found pictures of this place on the internet.  When we got there it was completely fenced up and there were signs keeping people out.  Yea right.  We snuck in through a hole in the fence and wonky gate.  We thought we were so rebellious, but after a few photos we ran into another family with kids there doing the same thing.
            The park was built back in the early 80’s.  The main attractions were seven trained bottle nose dolphins caught and put into captivity for shows.  When laws were passed to create larger holding tanks for the dolphins there was no money to construct the tanks in order to abide by the new rules and regulations.  The park was forced to close in 1990.


Leah LOVES dolphins
Leah & I at the base of the wall around Atlantis Marine Park
            After we had our share of photos we decided to go check out Yanchep National Park.  The tours had all ended for the day, but we were able to roam around the grounds on our own.  There were some serious snake signs posted around these parts.  This place is a Tiger Snake Sanctuary.  Yea, they are poisonous.  If untreated you have a 50% chance of survival though.  So that’s not too bad, right?  We didn’t see any though.  We did find some koalas. 
            Ori, Moh, Mageet, Ilnas & Farid joined us at Subiaco Park for the free Beach Boys concert.  I love hanging out with the Iranians.  Moh is a trip!



Leah & I at Yanchep National Park

Sleeping Koala
Day 313 Mon 02/18/2013
Aussie Jobs

“I printed my new CV (Resume) & caught the bus into Perth.  I waited at Aussie Jobs & met with Anissa & Nina.  Then I went to Fremantle to see Britt at Dive, Ski, Surf.  As I was on the train heading back to Perth Britt called with a job for Friday taking a guy diving on Rottnest Island.  Hell yea, good stuff.  Thanks Britt!  Tonight I watched Easy A, the movie.”


Day 314 Tue 02/19/2013
Jobbin

“Today I called Rowan (Leah’s friend in Quinny where she worked), Tom, & a few other people about work.  I watched Arrested Development, & was lazy the rest of the day.”


Day 315 Wed 02/20/2013
Journal 100%

“And my journal is 100% up to date.”


Day 316 Thur 02/21/2013
James’ for Pizza

“I got up & went to Blue Collar Employment agency this morning to interview for work.  Tonight we went to James’ house for pizza, beer/cider, coffee, cake, & tons of food.”

            This job agency was in the city, and I thought the lady hated me at the front desk.  It turns out she was just having a bad day.  In the end I won her over.  My interviewer seemed to like me too.  Maybe they can find some work I can do!
            James’ has invited us over for dinner tonight.  He ordered so much food we barely put a dent in it.  I was eating and eating.  The visit was great, but my favorite part was watching James’ dad use his industrial coffee/latte/frappie machine.  This thing was the size of 6 microwaves, I swear.  Three wide and two tall.  Actually, it may have been bigger than this.  The coffee he made me was amazing.  The machine looked like it could make you drinks, weld up mufflers, record all worldwide rugby matches, and be used as a treadmill.  I was very impressed.  James’ and his family are super nice.  We would be working with him in a few weeks to help him promote his new business.  More details on this soon.  Thanks for having us James!  It’s always a good time brother!

Day 317 Fri 02/22/2013
Stew from England
Birthday Diving

“Today I have work with Dive, Ski, Surf taking Stewart from England out diving on Rottnest Island.  This is a 2 tank boat dive.  On the island we were able to see the quokkas.  Rottnest is the only island in the world where they live.  They are isolated here and cannot seem to swim inland.  They are so cute (they look like rats, but much cuter).
Tyler & Steven (2 Americans on the dive trip from Oregon & Georgia) came with Stew & I to the Little Creatures Brewery here in Frio where we had some delicious beers.  Then a few more at Leah’s.  Dad just called to wish me a Happy Birthday.”

Nudi
a quokka & me on Rottnest Island
            Today is my birthday, and I get to spend it working.  No, not really.  Work was going diving with Stewart.  He had hired me to take him for these two dives over near Rottnest Island.  He was a certified diver, but it had been a few years since he had been.  He was much more comfortable in the water with someone he could trust to keep him safe.  Once I got him calmed down we were able to have some great diving.  I had a hard time at first getting him below the surface.  Once under he was not going to let go of my arm.  I had bruises from the grip he had on me, but we made it work.
            We saw tons of bait fish, some nudibranches, but no shark.  I don’t know if Stew wanted to see a shark or not.  We did find some beers at Little Creatures Brewery.  Stew had to run and get back with his wife for other plans, but when Tyler * Steven heard it was my birthday beers started showing up at the table in fast intervals.  Thanks for the B-Day party guys.
            Leah was working nights this week and was called back into work right as I got home.  Jes & I had some Emu’s & JD stubbies to continue the birthday celebration.




Fat Quokka

Coral off of Rottnest Island

Our dive boat down on the pier on Rottnest Island
Day 318 Sat 02/23/2013
Ori’s Surprise B-Day

“Tonight we are going to Moh, Ori & Mageet’s house for a surprise birthday party for Ori.  This was a good crowd with good food.  I almost got a gal’s number.  Haha, almost!  I also worked on Leah’s car today.”

            All I did was change the oil & filter on Leah’s car today.  While looking in the trunk I found a full white mechanic’s looking suit.  I had to put it on.  It had a hood, which made it look exactly like a KKK suit.  I guess if one has an issue with their vehicle they can put on this silly ass looking suit to keep from getting nicer clothes dirty.  I could have used one of these jumpers years ago.  I remember going into school on a daily basis smelling of gear oil.
            Ori’s birthday party was definitely a surprise to her.  Moh did a great job of organizing the event.  There were many of their good friends there.  One was a good looking belly dancer.  I was told she had an interest in me, but when some pressure was applied she folded.  It was a great night regardless.  We will be spending more time with our Iranian friends.

Day 319 Sun 02/24/2013
More Live Music

“The John Butler Trio is playing a free concert down in Frio.  We went to Subiaco for another free show that would be less crowded and much closer.  The band played some Spencer Davis Group – Gimme Some Lovin, along with some Georgia Satellites.  What a weekend.”


Day 320 Mon 02/25/2013
Neway Transport

David & I in the breakroom at Neway Transport
“I got up this AM & started working on my Australian White Card for construction safety in order to work on any construction site in Oz, but I was called shortly into the test by the temp agency (Blue Collar).  I would have to report to Neway Transport to help loading & unloading trucks.
Leah’s roommate, Jes, was nice enough to drive me there.  When they called I was given one hour to get there, Landsdale.  I had to get a high visibility shirt & steel cap boots on the way.  Thanks to Jes I was able to pull this off.  I worked with Dave.  Theresa was the secretary, & Peter was the boss.  I thought of D Peeps working his logistics job my whole day I was there.  I was counting freight & inventory.  It paid, so it was perfect.  I will do it for now.
I walked one third of the way home because I had no money for the bus.  I also had no money for lunch.  The lunch deli over here in this industrial park only took cash.  I should get paid soon for my diving on Friday though.  That will be nice!  I did finish the white card testing tonight as well.  I watched Adam Sandler in 50 First Dates while taking the test & writing in my journal after testing.  Oh & I wrote Joe a quick email.  I have done a terrible job of writing friends & family back home.”

            Jes saved my butt.  Leah wasn’t there to drive me.  If it weren’t for Jes I would have been stuck at home all day with no work.  Not only did she drive me up to Landsdale (about 15-20min) she even stopped at two stores for me to buy my high visibility shirt and my work boots.  I was not happy about buying steel toed boots, but they were fairly cheap.  If I worked half a day the work gear was paid for.  Everything after that was profit, until I paid for the AU White card.  I think it cost about $100.  So I would have to work an entire day to pay for my expenses to work.  I’ll take it.  Thanks again Jes for driving me.  Savior!
            Dave was my immediate supervisor.  He was very good to work with/for.  I had never done anything with freight before, so he walked me through everything.  He was very fast to let me go off on my own so we could get twice the work done.  Overall, I enjoyed the work day.  I needed the money regardless, so I wouldn’t complain.
            After my shift (I think I was done around 3PM) I just began walking.  I had no idea where the bus stops even were, not that it matter because I had no coins for the bus.  I took the first road heading south.  From google maps last night I saw Landsdale was north of Dianella and Leah’s house.  If I walked south maybe I would eventually recognize the area.  I walked for a good while.  It was HOT, but not too hot to be out wandering the area.  I stopped at a Cole’s grocery for some food.  I could use my credit card at Cole’s thanks goodness.  I think I ate yoghurt and a snickers.
Leah called me asking how things went.  She was off of work and offered to come pick me up.  I knew I was walking south on Mirrabooka Avenue.  Somewhere along the line she drove past me.  The road literally split for maybe half a kilometer and in that time she had past me driving north and I walked on the other side of the road south.  I think she passed me again heading south, and she was getting slightly annoyed.  I didn’t blame her, because she was trying to do me a favor and save me from an hour walk more.  We finally connected, and I was happy to not be walking in these steel toed boots anymore.
I love the movie 50 First Dates.  I received my temporary Aussie White Card tonight.  Maybe more doors would open soon with this under my belt.




McNair is on the job

Day 321 Tue 02/26/2013
Missed Chance Brings New Chance

“Today at 7”30AM Blue Collar People called & offered me more work at Neway Transport.  I told them it would take me an hour & a half to get there by bus.  This wasn’t fast enough for them.  Oh well, it was the best I could do.  I mailed 5 post cards today back to the USA.  I had found AC/DC stamps at the Post.  I bought deodorant for the first time in… MONTHS.  It has been a long time since I have worn any.
I got offered a job with a company called People Who Care (via Blue Collar People).  Basically this company (PWC) goes out & helps older people by doing their yard work or other various maintenance work.  My first day will be tomorrow.”

            I have pulled up the 3 different buses I have to take in order to get to Neway Transport the fastest and snapped a photo of the route with bus numbers.  I was ready to catch the next bus, but it would take time.  I was bummed they couldn’t wait, but I understood.  They were requesting me at Neway.  Dave liked me better than the other temp guy they had been using.  I was glad Dave was requesting me.
            It seemed to work out though, because I was called an hour later with an offer over at People Who Care.  This was a closer business, and would be much quicker.  I would be going to Warwick instead of Landsdale.  Warwick was only 14kms.  Hopefully tomorrow goes well.
Day 322 Wed 02/27/2013
People Who Care

“I had to wake up super early to get the public transportation over to People Who Care.  I met Brendon (New Zealand), Mike (Liverpool, England), & David (Perth, Australia).  Our first job was doing yard work for a Pilipino lady.  Basic yard work with mowers, hedgers, rakes, weed eaters…  It paid pretty dang good for yard work I thought.
Tonight I went out with Laza & his mate, Sean, who was in town from Scotland.  Laza came & picked me u from Leah’s & took me back to his place where he had a few drinks.  Sean leaves for Scotland in the morning, & he wanted an Aussie kebab before his flight.  We went to the Indi Bar for some live music, & I managed to only spend $7.  I told the boys not to feel obligated to buy me drinks, but that never works with Laurence (Laza).  They were both too generous.  We ran into Belle & two of her friends, Naomi & Julia, here at the Indi.  The band was mostly hip-hop.
I ended up getting along with Julia & we were going to hang out again soon.”


Our PWC Team: David, Mike, Brendon & I

            Working for this company was going to be rewarding.  I really liked the guys I was working with.  We would meet at the PWC office over in Warwick, then we set out to a few yards to do work.  I rode with David while Brendon rode with Mike.  Brendon was another temp worker from Blue Collar People.  He was a younger Kiwi guy.  He was very easy going.  Mike was a new full time hire who had come on as another supervisor.  I liked everyone I was working with.

            The first yard (and it might have been the only yard today) was slightly demanding.  The lady really loved having all four of us at her house to boss around.  She was pointing and asking for another pass with the mower, or asking for this bush to be trimmed slightly more.  I remember looking over to Brendon thinking “Man this lady is really liking this.  I could see in his face he was thinking the same thing.  Her yard did need a lot of work though.  Brendon had to tear up a huge vine that had ran amuck in the yard.  I had to finish the absolute shit job David had done with the mowing.  David was an older Aussie bloke, and I questioned his mowing abilities.  I swear he came back there with the mower and just walked it in the path a bee would fly (circles & zigzags).  I said something to Brendon later.  It took me longer to do the back yard after following up his mess than it would have if I had started from scratch.  David was very nice though, and we were both glad to have some money coming in.
PWC!
            Tonight Laza was kind enough to pick me up and take me back to Scarborough Beach to his place.  He was taking another mate out for the last night of his Aussie trip.  We were going to our favorite spot, the Indi Bar.  This place was only a short walk from Laza’s house.  The band was OK.  Laza & his buddy Sean would not let my glass empty.  Thanks again for the drinks guys.  We had a good time with Belle & her friends.  I ended up getting the OK to have dinner with Julia one night before I flew back home.

Day 323 Thur 02/28/2013
Toyota’s Love Me
 
“I am working for People Who Care again today.  I am very tired, but we have 2 houses lined up today with 2 little old ladies.  The boss (David) found out I am good with vehicle repair, so I got to spend the last hour of the day putting a rear window in our Toyota work truck.  It was a pain in butt!  Afterwards I took my spare change to the store for some more Vegemite.”

            Brendon & Mike got to go back to headquarters where Brendon’s car was a little early while I got to fix the window on the truck.  David took me back to Leah’s house to do this, so everybody got home early.  With David’s help we managed to get the rear window in with the seal.  Now the aircon will actually cool the inside of the truck for us.





            I will continue to work as much as possible for the next blog.  This week was full on new friends, but it seems I didn’t take many pictures.  From recovering from being sick and looking for work I didn’t do a good job of writing down all the fun moments.  I will have to make up for this the next time.  We make a few trips up the west coast of Australia.  Run into a large hammerhead shark in the Indian Ocean.  AC/DC & 4x4 Hilux’s, and a few camping trips I will never forget.  I start taking many more pictures too.  Thanks for reading.  J

<3 Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment